First visit your nearest registering authority (RA) and complete the form Application and notice in respect of traffic register number (ANR).
A foreigner who is applying for a traffic register number and who intends to buy or register a motor vehicle in South Africa, he or she must submit the following:
- A certified copy of your passport or a certified copy of your driver license and temporary residence permit or travel document
- Two black-and-white ID photographs (confirm with the RA or DLTC how many photos is required).
- Proof of address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your residential address
If you are applying for a traffic register number because you want to personalise the number plate of a vehicle owned by your organisation, you must submit the following:
- the business registration certificate (issued by the registrar of companies)
- a copy of the proxy or representative’s South African ID.
It may take up to six weeks to process your application.